The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 models, as you might already know, are the most popular headphones till date. The Internet is loaded with numerous positive reviews of this line of headphones. Each version is released with minor improvements to provide users with a world-class audio experience.
The ATH-M50X is the upgraded version of the popular ATH-50s which was a favored headphone series and was widely accepted by professionals. Most of the features in the newest version ATH-M50X are comparable to the ones its predecessors have, only minor enhancements have been made in the new model.
The ATH-M50X produces great sound quality and has been modified to provide more bass. The newest additions in these headphones include the 3 detachable cables which allow you to switch from the longer studio use cable to the shorter phone cables when you are on the move. The headset is compact and light which means it will not be a drag while travelling. The sound quality is amazing as it provides sharp clarity and all of this comes at an affordable price.
Upgrades of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
The M50X is provided with 3 detachable cables – 1.2 m – 3.0m coiled cable, a 3.0m straight cable, and a shorter, 1.2m straight cable. Users can make use of these 3 cables according to your specific use. A disadvantage here is that you cannot use detachable cables of any other brands since the plugs only support Audio Technica.
A 6.5mm jack adapter is also included with these detachable cables. The jacks are all gold plated. The cables make use of a trouble-free locking mechanism to keep them attached securely when it’s used. These detachable cables are a very useful upgrade for a studio monitor headphone.
Looks and construction
It has a circumaural design which makes it contour around your ears for brilliant sound separation in noisy environments. The M50X is available is a variety of chic color combinations. The ear pads do not exert too much pressure over the ears. The leather padding is better providing more comfort for your ears.
These headphones have a tough and sturdy design which makes it very durable. The padded ear cups rotate on 2 axes. The headphones can be folded flat for easy storage. However, the design is bulky with a wider headband. This feature might make it inconvenient for carrying it around. It is made with 45 mm large-aperture drivers with exceptional earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils.
The ATH-M50X provides excellent sound quality. There is a perfect tonal balance. The stereo imaging has ample space and the dynamic impact is awesome. The ATH-M50x has more clarity and provides a detailed treble, bass and midrange. The frequency can go as low as 15Hz to as high as 28KHz. This frequency range is very suitable for human ears. It has a sufficient sensitivity of 99db.
Even though the ATH-M50X does not feature any noise cancellation element it does a great job at removing the room noise. Channel separation is remarkable. These headphones need to be driven by a cable amplifier for best results. The M50X headphones favor music of all genres and provide a deep bass. The ATH-M50X is the best choice for studio tracking and mixing, personal use and DJ monitoring.
- It comes with an interchangeable cable system is very handy
- It has the similar great tech as the previous M50 models
- It has an outstanding clarity all through an extensive frequency range, with deep, exact bass response
- The M50X is more comfortable to use because of the softer ear pads
- The 90 degree rotating ear cups and an included bag make it effortless for portability
- It comes at a very reasonable price for a high-end studio monitor pair of headphones
- It is available in three handsome color options
- It is very versatile. You can use it for studio monitoring to listening to any type of audio including music.
- The clarity is awesome
- There is no leakage of sound. Since these headphones have a closed-back design, you can use them in any crowded room, or while travelling, without worrying about disturbing others.
- Since it has an impedance of 38 ohms you don’t require a headphone amp.
- You can only use the Audio-Technica cables for interchanging as the plugs do not support the cables of any other brands
- Compared to the ATH-M40X these are a little expensive although both these versions have almost the same tech construction and features
- The design is heavy. It weighs 11 ounces which some of the users have found to be heavy.
- The case is made out of cloth
- It does not have an integrated microphone which prevents users from making or receiving calls.
- The closed back design can give you a hard time on hot days
- Headphone type – Dynamic closed-back
- Diameter of drivers – 45 mm
- Magnet – Neodymium
- Voice coil – Copper-clad aluminum wire (CCAW)
- Frequency range – 15 – 28,000 Hz
- Max input power – 1,600 mW (at 1 kHz)
- Sensitivity – 99 dB
- Impedance – 38 ohms
- Weight: 10 ounces (285 grams) (without cables)
- Box Contains
- Carry bag
- 1.2m-3m coiled cable
- 3m straight cable
- 1.2m short straight cable
- gold plated 6.3mm adapter
Customers are very much content with the ATH-M50X. Although it has several downsides such as a heavy design, too many cables and absence of a microphone, customers love the sound quality of these headphones. This is a perfect choice not only for studio use but also for personal use. The price is very reasonable when you consider its brilliant sound quality. On Amazon ATH-M50X has been given a 5/5 rating. So if you want a no-nonsense quality sound headphone, then ATH-M50X is your best bet.